Author: Parminder Singh LL.B (Canada)
SKILLED WORKER CLASS
Skilled workers are eligible for Canada PR status in 5 ways
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Canadian Experience Class
- Quebec Experience Class
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Quebec Skilled Workers Program
1. FEDERAL SKILLED WORKER PROGRAM
The Federal Skilled Workers Program has two Canada Immigration programs
- Federal Skilled Worker Class
- Federal Skilled Trades Class
1) FEDERAL SKILLED WORKERS CLASS [ii]
There are currently 3 classes under this program:
- Priority Occupations
- Arranged Employment
- Ph.d stream
1. Priority Occupations (Note: All occupations are eligible as per 2015 express entry program rules)
Click here for a list of 24 occupations eligible for priority processing (Total 5000 spots, with a sub CAP on each occupation
- Must be in the list of 24 eligible occupations (Note: All occupations are eligible as per 2015 express entry program rules)
- Minimum one year experience in eligible occupation
- Minimum 6 bands in each of IELTS components: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing
- Educational equivalency assessment of foreign diplomas/degrees from a designated organization designated by Immigration Canada
- Must score 67 points on the selection points grid
2. Arranged Employment
An applicant is eligible for immigration to Canada, if he meets the following conditions:
- A Canadian employer has offered him a permanent job, with a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from Human Resources and Skill Department of Canada (HRSDC) AND
- the applicant has one year experience in his trade, which falls under skill type O, A or B under NOC of HRSDC), that, is managerial, professional or technical occupations
3. Ph.d Stream
An applicant is also eligible to apply for Immigration to Canada, if he is a PH.D student in Canada. However, he must apply after 2 years of your PH.D studies or within a year of completion of PH.D.
Processing times: Currently it takes 1 year for processing of Canada PR applications under Arranged Employment Program.
2) FEDERAL SKILLED TRADES CLASS[iii]
Currently, Canada Immigration has 43 occupations that are eligible for fast track Canada PR program.
Canada Immigration’s Criteria to qualify,
- Experience: minimum 2 years of experience.
- Job Offer: an offer of employment from one or two Canadian employers of one year duration with approved LMO from Human Resource Department of Canada.
- English: IELTS Score: listening and speaking 5 bands, reading 3.5 bands, writing 4 bands.
- Employment Requirements: an applicant must meet “Employment Requirements” of the HRSDC for his trade or be licensed in Canada.
Processing times: In India it takes under 12 months for processing of Canada PR applications.
2. CANADIAN EXPERIENCE CLASS, CEC [iv]
- CEC for Workers
- CEC for Students
1. CEC for Workers
A foreign worker can immigrate to Canada on permanent basis under Canadian Experience class.
Work experience: 1 year of work experience in Canada on a work permit
English: IELTS score 5 bands for B skill type of NOC of HRSDC and 6 bands for skill type O or A of NOC of HRSDC.
2. CEC for Students
Study: Completion of at least 2 years of post-secondary study in Canada
Experience: One year of work experience in Canada
This program is not meant for unskilled or semi-skilled workers
3. QUEBEC EXPERIENCE CLASS
Eligibility (Students): Two years of post-secondary study in Quebec and an intermediate level of French, if the applicant’s language of instruction was not French.
Eligibility (Workers): One year of work experience in last 2 years and intermediate level of French or proof that the applicant meets the language proficiency for the job.
Skilled Worker Stream
Under Federal Skilled Worker’s Program, a good level of English is required whereas in Provincial Nominee Programs, English is required only at a basic level. The total qualifying points are also less under Provincial Program than the Federal Program.
However, all provinces, except Quebec, require a job offer under skilled worker stream of provincial nominee programs.
Semi-Skilled Worker Stream
Under PNP, the workers with semi-skilled categories are also eligible for Immigrating to Canada on permanent basis. These semi-skilled categories include Food Servers, Cleaners, Hotel Front Desk staff, Long Haul Truck Drivers, Bakers and Industrial Meat cutters.
The English language requirement is low. An applicant must have a job offer in order to be eligible.
Masters and Ph.d student stream
Under provincial nominee programs of some provinces, such as Ontario, the Master’s and Ph.D degree holders from Canadian universities are eligible to apply for Canada PR status while they are in their last semesters or within two years of completion of their degrees. At the time of application, they must have legal status in Canada and be residing in the province where they apply for Canada immigration status.
No job is required to be eligible. There is a CAP of 1000 applicant per year in Ontario for this stream.
Click the above link for information on Quebec skilled worker program
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Regulations, Regulations R-75, 86, 87, 87.1, 87.2, 88
[iii] R 87.2: Federal Skilled Trade Class
[iv] R 87.1: Canadian Experience Class
[v] R 87: Provincial Nominee Class
[vi] R86: Quebec Skilled Worker Class