Canada Study visa & Work Permits for Students
Author: Parminder Singh LL.B (Canada)
To be eligible for Canada student visa,
You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your,
- tuition fees
- living expenses
- return transportation
- Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the expiry of your visa.
- Not have criminal record and must be of good health. If necessary, you may be asked to provide a police certificate and complete a medical examination.
Work permits for students
Working on campus
You may work on campus at the institution where you study without a work permit if you are a full-time student at a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, or a college
Working off campus
Off Campus work permit allows a student to work 20 hours a week. During holidays they can work full time e.g. summer, winter and Spring breaks.
If you want to work off campus while you study on a Canada Study Permit, you must be registered as a full-time student at an eligible post-secondary educational institution participating in the Off-Campus Work Permit Program.
To be eligible for an Off-Campus Work Permit, you must:
- have a valid study permit
- study at a participating institution
- have been a full-time student for at least six of the 12 months preceding the date of your work permit application
- be in satisfactory academic standing