(For a current short list of skills in demand in Quebec, click here)
QUEBEC SKILLED WORKERS CLASS
An easier immigration to Canada option
- Quebec Immigration gives priority processing to the Applicants whose skilled training is on the Quebec Area of Training List.
- Job offer from Canada is not necessary as is the case under Provincial Nominee Programs for other Canadian provinces.
- To qualify for a Quebec Selection Certificate, a single or unmarried applicant must score 49 points. A married applicant must score 57 points.
- French is not required to apply, if an applicant scores the required points. However, it is strongly recommended to learn French.
Quebec Skilled Worker Point Criteria[vi]
- Quebec Education/Training criterion: Up to 28 points (Must have 12 years of education, More points for education in Quebec Area of Training occupations)
- Validated Employment Offer: Up to 10 points (10 points if job offer is from outside Montreal, 6 points if job offer is in Montreal)
- Experience: Up to 8 points (4 points for 6 months experience, 6 points for 2 years or more experience, 8 points for 4 year
- Age: Up to 16 points (18-35 years, full 16 points; Deduction of 2 points per year after 35)
- Language Proficiency: Up to 22 points (Up to 6 points for English and 16 Points for French); (4 points for 5 bands in listening and speaking, 6 points for 7.5 in listening and 6.5 in speaking; 16 points for High Level in French)
- Stay and Family in Quebec: Up to 8 points
- Spouse’s Characteristics: Up to 16 points
- Children: Up to 8 points ( 4 points for child aged 0-12 years; 2 points for child aged 13-21)
- Financial Self-Sufficiency: 1 point (Must sign a contract with the Quebec government that the applicant will have funds for 3 months survival without a work in Quebec, application will be refused without 3 months settlement funds)
- Adaptability: Up to an additional 6 points may be awarded for interview. if an interview for Adaptability is conducted, a single applicant must score a minimum of 55 points and a married applicant must score 63 points. Points are awarded according to an applicant’s knowledge of Quebec culture, job market, knowledge of French and rental accommodation.
NOTE: On August 5, 2015, the adaptability factor is removed from the selection point grid.
Parminder Singh LL.B (Canada)
[i] s.1 of the Regulation respecting the weighting applicable to the selection of foreign nationals, RRQ, c I-0.2, r 2, s.1