Author: Parminder Singh LL.B (Canada)
Canada is divided into 10 Provinces (States) and 3 territories. Yukon is one of Canada’s 3 territories. This territory has agreement with the Federal Government of Canada to nominate applicants for Canada PR status according to its economic demands. There are two paths to Immigration to Canada through YNP.
- Employment Based Nomination
- Investment Based Nomination
Briefly, in order to qualify for Canada PR status under Yukon Nominee Program, an applicant must have either a job offer from Yukon to qualify under skilled worker category or he must have $250,000 net worth to qualify under investment category. Both skilled and unskilled workers are eligible.
1. EMPLOYMENT BASED NOMINATION
The applicant must
- have a job offer from an employer in Yukon
- fulfill job requirements under applicable NOC code
- score bands in IELTS (general) as follows : for unskilled workers 4 bands, for skilled workers 5 bands and for managers or professionals 6 bands in each of the components.
- have 6 months of experience for job
The employer must
- have advertised for the job for 4 weeks
- be able to prove unavailability of workers in Canada or Yukon though active recruitment efforts such as advertisement
- have been in business for a year
2. INVESTMENT BASED NOMINATION
- Priority business sectors
- Processing time
An applicant must
- have 5 years of experience as a senior manager or owner of a business
- have $250,000 net worth, out of which, $150,000 must be liquid assets such as cash, fixed deposits, bonds, stocks etc.
- have visited Yukon for the purpose of exploring business
- be able to purchase a business alone or in partnership with 33% share greater than or equal to $150,000
- have 50% share in business after 5 years
- IELTS 6 bands in each component
2. Priority Business Sectors
Currently, the following business sectors are given priority in Yukon
- Tourism Attractions and Services
- Film and Video Production
- Information Technology
- Mining and Mineral Development
- Value-added Processing
- Cultural Industries
Ineligible Business Sectors
- Real Estate Rental
- Financial Services
- Passive Investments
- Most professional services
- Retail, wholesale and distribution services
- Business and Personal Services
3. The Process
The application is submitted to Yukon which nominates the applicant to the Federal Immigration for a 2 year work visa.
The application is submitted to the Federal Government for verification of documents and medical and security checks.
Yukon grants nomination for Canada PR, if the applicant has established a business before or after 2 years or work visa
4. Processing time
- 1 week to review the application by Yukon Immigration
- 2 to 4 weeks to review the detailed application by Yukon Immigration
- 2 to 10 months to process the Canada work visa application by Canadian Visa Office