Author: Parminder Singh LL.B (Canada)
Newfoundland is one of the 10 Canadian provinces. The province nominates individuals for Canada PR status to Canada immigration department. The process involves 2 applications: Provincial Nomination application and Federal immigration application.
Under the Nova Scotia Nominee Program (PNP), an applicant may be eligible for Canada PR status under one of three categories:
- Skilled Workers
- International Graduates
- Business category
1. Skilled Workers
Newfoundland nominates individuals for Canada PR status who have specialized skills that are deemed critical for the operations of an employer in Newfoundland.
Who is eligible under Skilled Worker category?
To be eligible, an applicant must,
- Have a full-time job offer from a Newfoundland employer
- Have a Canada Immigration Work Permit or is entitled to have it
- Have the qualifications, skills, and/or license required for the duties;
- Demonstrate the intention and ability to live and work in Newfoundland
- Demonstrate that you have sufficient settlement funds to successfully establish yourself in Newfoundland;
- Have an employer (or future employer) who can demonstrate a need for your special skills set; and
- Demonstrate sufficient English or French language capability to perform the employment duties. Your English language ability must be verified by one of the following:
- An Affidavit of English Language Ability from a Newfoundland employer; or
- Education documents
- Occupations classified in NOC Code C or D must submit a minimum 4.5 bands IELTS score
2. International Graduates
Who is eligible under international graduate category ?
An applicant may qualify, if he:
- Has completed at least half of their post-secondary studies in Canada (if an applicant has done all of his required studies out of Newfoundland, he is only eligible after he has worked in Newfoundland for a year in a job related to his studies)
- Has completed a minimum of a two‐year diploma or degree program. One‐year post‐graduate degree or certificate programs that require a previous degree or diploma are also eligible
- Has a job offer in their field of study from a Newfoundland employer OR
- Has applied to the NLPNP within two years of obtaining his degree or diploma OR during the last semester of his degree or diploma
- Has an Immigration Canada Post‐Graduate Work Permit.
- Has the qualifications, skills, and license required for the job duties
- Can demonstrate the intention and ability to live and work in Newfoundland
- Has a job offer related to his education and specific skill levels
- Has sufficient settlement funds to successfully establish in Newfoundland
- Can demonstrate sufficient English or French language ability to perform the job duties. The English language ability must be verified by:
- (a) An Affidavit of English Language Ability from the Newfoundland employer; OR
- (b) education documents
This program is under revision, check with the government via email or phone, if you are interested in this program:
Phone 709 729 5847