Comparison of Canadian Student visas under different Canadian provinces

Author: Parminder Singh, LL.B (Canada)

Immigration prospects of international students under different provincial programs

A student visa is most probably refused because the officer is not satisfied that the student applicant will return from Canada after expiry of his temporary visa. However if the applicant selects a diploma wisely with the assistance of qualified professional, he can select a diploma which will allow him to stay in Canada permanently. It follows that if a student is legally eligible to stay in Canada permanently, the officer cannot say that he is not satisfied that the applicant will not return from Canada after expiry of his visa. If an officer makes the mistake of wrongly deciding a case, an appeal can be made in the Federal Court of Canada to seek a remedy of judicial review.

The following diplomas not only allow an applicant to stay in Canada permanently, but they also allow an applicant to save at least $25,000 a year. These diplomas also make an applicant eligible for Canadian Permanent Residence at least one year earlier. Province wise comparison of diplomas and their immigration potential follow here-under:

An applicant needs to look into a diploma that is in demand in Canada or in a particular province. For example, look for Business administrative assistant, Medical Administrative assistant, Network & Computer technology diplomas in Manitoba:

An applicant can look into diplomas in other provinces in a similar way, but before looking into diplomas, an applicant should look into immigration prospects in a province after finishing diplomas, a step rarely pursued by most applicants.

A province-wise comparison of immigration prospects for students follows:

In Manitoba, a student will be eligible for Permanent Residence after a year’s diploma, without a job offer with some exceptions.

Whereas in BC, a student will be eligible after diploma only with a permanent full time job offer (the diploma need not be from BC, it could be from any province/state).

In Quebec, a student will be eligible for PR after two years diploma without a job offer, but with intermediate French language ability. However, if the diploma is in the List of High demand (known as List of Area of Training), a student will be eligible for Canadian PR even after 1 year of study and without the need of French.

In most other provinces you need a job offer and at least 2 year diploma. e.g in Saskatchewan, you need one year diploma from Saskatchewan, 6 months employment, and a job offer from Saskatchewan employer in an area of your studies. Similarly, Ontario, New found land, Labrador, Nova Scotia and Alberta all require job offer to become eligible for PR.

An applicant must select a diploma that is in demand and has promising future outlook.

Diplomas in Radiology, health sciences and welding are also in demand currently, you may do these anywhere and you will likely get a job offer. You may even do these diplomas in your own country to become eligible for Canadian PR after acquiring required experience. Computer diploma is in moderate/intermediate demand and lots of people apply for computer jobs because lot of people have done this diploma or degree. There are several other diplomas that are in demand and likewise several other diplomas that are not in demand currently. The Canadian government, provincial governments and human resource department issues a list of occupations that are in demand currently and their future forecast and outlook.

Semi or low-skilled occupations in BC, Alberta, and Saskatchewan and in some other provinces, such as Tourism & Hospitality, Food Processing and trucking are also in demand. Tourism & Hospitality jobs include food, beverage, front desk, and house-keeping, cleaning services as well as tourism and recreational guides. This means that if you have a diploma or license in these areas, you will likely find a job in these provinces. If you have a job offer and are working in these occupations for 6 to 9 months, you are eligible for Canadian PR.

Note that these jobs normally do not require a diploma but they are available: e.g.

Based on the above information, you must have come to know how an applicant can save time and money by merely selecting a right diploma and a right province with the professional advice. Since it is not possible to give additional requirements for permanent residence here, we strongly recommend seeking professional assistance before applying.

We encourage you to compare both our fees and qualifications with other competitors. We believe this process will enhance your appreciation of the service provider you select.

When your entire future is at stake, seeking non-professional assistance is tragic. Advice on professional advice follows: