Author: Parminder Singh J.D, Juris Doctor (Canada)
In order to apply for Canadian PR under Federal Skilled Worker Program, you need to acquire two documents among several other documents before you can apply:
1) IELTS general, less than 2 years old, with minimum 6 bands in each component
2) Education assessment done by 3rd party, recognized by Canada.
1) IELTS process
Book your IELTS and prepare for it.
2) Education assessment process for Polytechnic diploma (10+3), B.com, MBA and all other degrees and diplomas except medical degree.
The assessment is done by World Education Service (WES) and some other bodies, recognized by Canada Immigration for the purpose of determining equivalency of foreign education with Canadian education. Points for immigration purposes are awarded for education based on the assessment report provided by the WES.
1) Creating WES account: Use the following link to create and log on to your account, https://www.wes.org/ca/apply/createaccount.asp?loc=cic
2) Getting education certificates attested: Please gather your documents: Degrees and detailed marks
Make CLEAR photo copies from the originals and proceed to the educational bodies that gave you these certificates and degrees.
Get the DETAILED MARKS certificates ATTESTED AND DATED by the REGISTRAR or CONTROLLER OF EXAMINATIONS. (DO NOT GET THESE ATTESTED BY ANYONE ELSE)
Request them to enclose the attested certificates in OFFICIAL ENVELOPE and hand over to you ONLY after SEALING it.
See the Sealed envelope sample: http://www.wes.org/required/WES_Sealed_Envelope.png
You may show the following letter to the registrar or controller of examination after filling “applicant” part: http://www.wes.org/ca/required/International_Transcript_Request.pdf
NOTE: You need to get only the “detailed marks” for Polytechnic diploma, B.Com and MBA etc etc attested by the registrar or controller of examination of the university that granted you degrees.
Once this is done, let us know so that we may request you to send these documents to the appropriate body for assessment as advised below, in the 2nd step:
3) Sending documents: Use the following link to log on to your account, https://www.wes.org/ca/apply/createaccount.asp?loc=cic
After you are logged on
1. Fill the information on each tab on top menu (and show it to us) 2. Make payment using your credit card information. 3. Make extra payment for fast delivery of documents back to you (do not use normal delivery option, it will take several months to reach the evaluated documents back to you 4. After the payment goes through, send the documents given by the universities to the following address, using Fed-ex or DHL/Blue dart service:
World Education Services, 2 Carlton Street, Suite 1400 Toronto, Ontario M5B 1J3 Canada
Note: contact us before sending documents to make sure the documents are right.
While you wait for IELTS and Education assessment which could take 1-2 months, you should gather other required documents such as IELTS, Birth certificate, Experience letter, Proof of settlement funds etc. etc.
IMPORTANT: This process is not applicable to professionals with medical degrees. The process is different for medical degrees.